View blog reactions

Friday, June 22, 2007

Nearly a dozen animals rescued in Buffalo, NY house fire

Firefighters rescue nearly a dozen animals in Buffalo, New York house fire

A three alarm fire at a house owned by John and Evelyn Bencinich, two of the initiators of a lawsuit filed against the Elmwood Village Hotel proposal in Buffalo, required firefighters to rescue eight cats and two dogs in Buffalo, New York today.

I used to live at 50 Granger, next door to this house.

I have seen on TV cats and dogs receiving CPR from firefighters, but I never thought in a million years that I would see it in real life.

Just this past winter, they owners of the house had to put one of their dogs to sleep because it was old and sick. If I had to see any of the animals die or not get rescued, i would have been as devastated as they would have been.

These people mean nothing but good, and are some of the nicest people on the street.

I was amazed at the amount of support they received from their surrounding neighbors who were offering food for the animals and places for them to stay as well as the residents. I truly do miss this neighborhood as I never realized just how much the community there cares about their neighbors.

Anna Bencinich, who is the mother of Evelyn, was rescued by the neighbors, just before the fire department arrived. Now thats what I call "love thy neighbor."


I also never realized just how much firefighters care about life in general. They were not required to save those animals or to revive them. The Buffalo Fire Department, in my opinion, went above and beyond the call of duty to save the life of these animals. They responded very quickly to the scene and made sure, even while the fire was burning, that all the animals were rescued despite firefighters being injured by them.

One firefighter is being treated for bite injuries to his face that he received while attempting to rescue a dog. The other firefighter was treated for injuries he received to his hand, which was believed to have been caused a cat scratching him. The names of the injured firefighters are not known. The injuries are said to not be life threatening.

I thank the fire department for their efforts, as they have been busy fighting at least 3 other fires overnight in Buffalo.

No comments: